March 17, 2011

365/46 Happy Birthday

So I needed a gift for my niece who just turned 18 and a project for 365. Having too many ideas in my head to pick one that wouldn't be overly complicated,  I scoured my Jewelry Artist Magazines for projects that I had been wanting to try. Wire Totem Earrings by Denise Peck on page 38 of the July 2009 issue was just what I was looking for. 

Although that project makes earrings, I decided to do a necklace version. Okay, I admit it. After completing the instructions the earrings are extremely long 2 1/4" (without the ear wires)--way too long, so I turned one of them into a choker style necklace.

Finished length: 16" choker and the pendant is 2 1/4" long
Materials: Sterling silver wire, sterling silver flower bead (spacer), green translucent flat bead, raspberry crystal bead, raspberry glass flat beads, leather cord.

Tomorrow I might make a much smaller version for the earrings so that she has a set.

No comments: