January 19, 2011

365: Day 8 Altered Book

My assistant Sparrow
Yesterday I followed a prompt in the 365 day journal to alter a book. I am a day late posting this due to several power outages last night.

I decided to use a hard cover version of an Emily Dickinson poetry book I  bought a couple of years ago. Who was I kidding, I wasn't going to read it and it was a cheapo version of her work.


Now, what to do with the book? Hey, I know. Put some of the shells collected from Silver Sands beach in there. That won't take long...just hours.


First I glued all the edges of the book together and held those  pages taught with a rubber band.


Next the fun part, I took out my  x-acto knife and cut out 4 windows for the shells to sit in. More gluing and painting kept me busy.
It  came out really nice, but I must confess that I still need to do the  cover of the book. All that glue and paint take awhile to dry so I will  leave the cover for another day.

No comments: